Shah Latif `s Poetry (Translated In Verse By: Elsa Kazi) Sohni-XXIX

1
Currents have their velocity,rivers their speed possess-But where there's love, a different rushits currents do express,And those that love fathomlessness,are steeped in depth of thought.-
2
Master the lesson throughlythat law doth teach Sohni-Then contemplate and meditatetill 'truth' comes near to thee-But "Reality's Vision" will bereward of lovers true.
3
So many, many line the banks-"Sahar! Sahar!" they cry-Afraid some to risk life, and someRenouncingly would die.But Sahar meets, who without sighjoyfully waters seek.
4
The rivulets are not yet deep;the depth is far ahead,O friends, relations are secureWhen one at home doth keepBut had you seen my Sahar's faceyou would no longer sleep-Nor stop me,-but take float and leapinto the running stream.
5
If you his features were to seeyou could no longer rest;Nor by your husband's side, would youso comfortable be-But earthen-jar, long before me,you would pick up and plunge.
6
If you had seen with your own eyes,what I have seen and know-For that you'd surely sacrificeyour homes and husbands too.
7
Ah! those who do their eyes and faceAdjust to Sahar sweet,Behold! if e'en without supportThey plunge in whirlpool's maze-They are immune from river's waysFor waters drown them not.
8
In wintry night and rain Sohniseeks flood with jar of clay-"Oh let us go and ask Sohniwho knows of love's true way;Whose thoughts with Sahar always staythroughout the night and day."
9
From Sahar, Sohni drank with zeal,life-giving draught of love-Intoxicated with its tasteshe still its charm doth feel-By pointed arrow, sharp as steelof cupid, she was sruck.-
10
From "Dum", who chides, she has no frighther spouse he never was;-See,-even muddy, gurgling streamher beauty cannot blight!For Sahar, she in darkest nightwill plunge in eddies wild.
II
11
O sisters, tinkling cattle bellsmy every limb have stirred-The love, by bell-music arousedone not to strangers tells-The friend, my main-stay, far he dwellsyet sends his solace sweet.
12
All round the herdsman's bells I hearthe tinkling sattle bells;When sleeping, echoes of their chimefrom far did reach mine ear.How could I sleep when travelling nearthis music rent my heart?
13
Stirred by the bells, how could I sleeprestfully and in peace?When I a hundred times the dayfor Sahar long and weep!In chains of love Sahar doth keepmy being till I die.
14
On this side of the stream, the strainof echoes reaching me-From loving Mehar's bells, old woundsbegan to bleed again;To go to him and soothe my painincumbent then became!
III
15
Young buffaloes she seeks, her woeswith them she doth confide;"My Mehar of the Buffaloesoh have you met him yet?"
16
She puts her arms, by grief opprestaround their necks and weeps.-"Coarse grasses that you eat, I'll placeagainst my aching breast,And with your voice I shall be blestand ever happy be."
17
The sun is setting, and the crowsin trees at rest now are;The call for prayers Sohni hearsand she picks up the jar,To float across the river far,and see where Sahar is.
18
She need not ask for slopes, she findsa slope at any place;An easy slope and easy waysare for the fickle minds-But those whom love to Sahar blindsneed neither slopes nor ease.-
19
The false ones seek for sloping banks,and only seek for show;But those who Sahar truly lovewhere they must enter, knowFor those who with love's thirst do glowwhole river is one-step.
IV
20
Blest be dark night, the moolit nightbe now so far away,So that except Mehar's, I maynot see another face.-
21
Go without 'Self', seek no support,and forget everything,Sohni, thy love alone thee tothe other side will bring;"Longing",thy guide, the thunderingriver shalt eas'ly cross.
22
A call sounds from the other side,clearly: "Come!" it doth say.-The river overflows with waves,skies overcast and grey-I know that with whom God doth stayshall never, never drown.
23
A call sounds from the other side,clearly "Come!" it doth say-River in spate, and weak one withan unbaked jar of clay-I know, nought yields to water's swaythat upheld is by 'Truth'.-
24
A black full night, and from abovesky, rain in torrents sends-On one side fear of tracklessnessOn other, lion stands-"If even life in effort endsI shall keep tryst of love."
26
She's neither here nor there, alonein midst of roaring stream-On dry banks only Sahar standsall else is flooded zone-Oh seek the waves! mercy is shownonly to drowning ones
27
She took the jar...she plunged so deepmay God the maiden saveHer leg in mouth of dog-fish andher neck the shark will have-Her bangles, garments in the mud-her hair floats on the wave-The fishes big and small, all roundare crowding, food they crave;And crocodiles prepare a grave-poor Sohni will be sliced.
28
A drowning man, by feeble grassesat the banks will hold,Look at the wondrous chivalrythe tender straws unfold,To hold him up, they will make hold,or else with him will sink.-
29
I knew not that the jar was fakedits colours were the same-My heart beyond control, I thurstmyself on jar unbaked;The thing on which my life I stakedin midstream landed me.
30
By help of which the longing eyesdid see Beloved's face;The jar, how could I sacrificeas dear as life to me?
31
My heart exhausted is and weak,no strength my limbs have now;"O Sahar, thou dost know all this,O help me, cast thy tow-I am so ignorant, and thoumy love so great thou art."
32
The jar, the means to reach, did break,alas, the maiden drowned,But only then she heard the soundof Sahar's voice draw nigh.
33
The means on which she had relied,did thrust her in the flood;And only after she had diedshe heard the herdsman's call.-
V
34
"The jar is broken! let it goobstructive screen it was mere-My real being is singing stillsoul-music still is hereAnd still I seek my Sahar dear,though without 'action' now."
35
My heart, you keep on swimming,the jar let break and go...My eyes, I train them every daymore of control to know;The herdsman led me, and did showto me friend, the 'straight' path.
36
Suggest no rafts to those who lovenor ask boat-men around;Sohni that is for Sahar boundenquiring doth not need.
37
Hundreds were by the river drowned-but river drowned was by this maid;The current broke itself instead,by knocking bluntly'gainst the banks.
38
As long she was alive,-she ne'ersat down, did never restNow she lies underground,...her questin silence still goes on.
39
If loved-ones met on judgement daythat would be very near,But ah! so very far away,tiding of 'Union' are.
40
Sahar, Sohni and seainseparably 'One'-This ineffable mysteryno one can ever solve.
VI
41
"On what count am I here? O whybereft of loved ones face?"You preach: "Deflect from sin", but Iyour virtue do deny-"Moral control I do not neednor do for music sigh.-"Keep closed your lips, and from withinyourself oyu'll beautify-"These that on 'Top' of waters floware bubbles that belie.-"Feed on selflessness, for your loveMincemeat to be, then try-"If headlong into dirt you rushyourself you'll purify-"Nought does possess more wealth than dustnothing with dust can vie,-"Who runs by stirrup of the guidethe other side will spy.-"Falcon, pick up your greedy self and fly with it on high.-"Don't lose sigh of the friends, walkingin veils that mystify.-"More than Oneness in love, is likesplitting two-lettered tie-"Those who do long for wine of lovewith purest them supply.-""These ravings are the vain replyof tortured, sickly one.-On what count, am, I here oh! why?Bereft of loved ones face."

No comments:

Post a Comment