Shah Latif `s Poetry (Translated In Verse By: Elsa Kazi) Barwo Sindhi-XXII (Beloved)

1
O say, to what end you to otherswould a servant be?Of Gen'rous one hold stirrup, Lordof worlds and Destiny?Who loves Allah alone, but hesupremely happy is!
2
A reed doth murmur with distresswhen cut , so even ICry suddenly for loved-one ina fit of wretchedness;-O leech, brand not my arm, sicknessand pain are in the heart!
3
My breath no longer is my own-ruled now by other power-How is my breast assailed by woethat has a mountain grown?My love, in dream Himself had shown,brought joy, and then had gone!
4
When longing for you in despair,Loved-one if once you came-My eye lashes upon your feetI'd lay in humblest prayerI'd for your carpet spread my hairand be your slave for aye!5
Beloved, all from thee is good!but still, 't was not thy way,To take me mad with love and thendepart with changing mood;And let me die in solitude,e'en though you loved me not!
II
6
Today again mine eyes are drenched,remembering the loved one-The drops of tear ne'er cease to flow,till all my being,s blenched;Longing for loved-one is not quenchedby looking at His works!
7
Today they called, with eyes so kind;and killed me with their eyes...My flesh they distributed andleft skeleton behind-Did urge to search for truth and practicepatience in the mind;They killed her whom they dead did findaft'r wounding with smiles!
8
Sometimes their doors with latches tied,On other days wide open are;Some days I cannot enter, somethey call me with them to abide-Sometimes I for their voices long;some days their secrets they confide;Such are my masters glorified,beloved masters mine!
9
O you, my dear beloved Sir,thy slave I wholly am;With folded hands I ever serve,thy presence I desire;Not for a minute from your doorO sir, I would retire,I pray; Beloved do not tire-Thy kind looks not withdraw!
10
When with infinite grace, BelovedDoth walk upon the ground;With "Bismillah" earth on His pathprints kisses all around-The 'houris' by His beauty struckstand with submission bound-I swear, that never I have foundsuch Beauty any where!
11
As smith a link with link doth jointo make it ever last,So Loved-one fixed me up, and fastHe holds me ever more!
III
12
The worlds os passing soon or late,one breath it is, not long;And with their feet they'll bury youa tomb will be your fate;The measuring rod and spade, do waitas last things on this earth.-
13
Friendship by words they do profess;an easy thing to do;The proof will come when need and stressthe real friends will reveal.
14
Changed Adam's children now do treatsincerity as trifle;Who on this earth a human being'sflesh would like to cat?O friend in this world nothing willremain but perfume sweet,One single-minded you may meetall else is outward show!
15
The heart loves only One and moreit never doth admit;Give your heart to that One, evenIf hundreds sue for it;Ridiculous are those that flitfor friends from door to door!
16
My loved ones, all my blemishes...weaknesses came to know;They never did reproach me...nay,nor did they anger show-Loved-ones a covering did bestowo'er all my shortcoming!
17
The Generous One, presence of loved oneskindly granted me-Their thoughts were to return and re-establish harmony;Their way is: though a breech there bethey never will forsake.

No comments:

Post a Comment