Shah Latif `s Poetry (Translated In Verse By: Elsa Kazi) Mumal and Rano-XXI

1
With love, all unalloyed, is dightYogi entirely-Like image at rising sunhe flutters, he Kak, where with delightvirgins enlivened him.
2
The yogi looks like sun so fair,when scaling morning-skiesSuch sweet entrancing fragrance poursfrom out his silken hair;Show us the land, where fragrance rareO yogi you obtained!
3
O loin-clothed, one, let us know,the way you virgins metWhy from your eyes continuouslythe tears of blood do flow?O Sami! on us light bestowof beauty that you found!
4
"Go, go, to waters of Kak gowhere love is made, they say;Where there is neither night nor dayall shall Beloved see!
5
Resplendent diamondss gleam within Magnetic Mumal's eyes...Common or uncommon, who triesto see these eyes, is slain.
6
O camel, for such enterprisemaster bred you with care;With vigilance cross over nowto where Ludhana lies;Mumal we have to face this eve,or when the sun doth rise;With her consent on Kak's suppliesof blossoms you may browse.-
7
Beautiful like the roses sweetare robes of damsels fair...In Jasmin-fragrant coiffuers theyhave piled their long, fine hair.From Beauty so entrancing, loveis kindled everywhere;Wondrous show, damsels spinning thereon-lookers dumb-struck gaze.
8
Like fresh pan-leaves are shawls they wearof shimmering emerald silk-Their bodies all refreshed with atterand ambergris rare;From fullsome platis sandle and muskperfume all round the air;And delicate ears, dainty wareof glistening gold do hold-Today Mumal's in glorious fromrejoicing, free from care;Because Rano without compare,her fiansee hath become!...
9
Mumal had wounded many, loshe's wounded now instead-A pointed arrow struck her headfrom knightly Rano's bow.-
II
10
Although Rano not destined isMumal to be with thee-This will be clear from Rano's love...still not resentful be,Weep not, but bear it patiently,Be true to kinship new.
11
Kak could not hold those wanderersCastles not tempt their mind...No maid or mistresses their heartswith magic strings could bindFor e'er Lahutis left behindmyraids of maids as these.-
12
Kak could not hold those wanderersfor wealth they did not care,-It was by men of such a mouldroyal virgins wounded were-Lahutis they could not ensnarewith all their coquetry.
13
They passed Kak at the corner, longthat corner turned have they...To those who are now far awaywhat shall some 'Natir' do?
III
14
Ludhana is a hell merewithout Beloved mine;Friends, Rano took offence last nightand left me torture here...And Kak to me is poison sheerthe moment he is gone.
15
O Rano, hardly had you come,you turned and went awayBut were you not my spouse? why notto wake me did you stay?Then soon you would have known who laybeside me on the bed.
16
Whole night my lamp did burn, but seethe dawn is breaking now;Rano without thee I shall die-In God's name come to meOh-all the crows of Kak to theeas messenger I sent.-
17
I trimmed the wick, again, again,oil is consumed at lastStranger-beloved, do returnriding a camel fast;Weeping for Rano, night is past,the whole of night I wept.
18
Orion stands above my head;pleiades have declined...The time is past...he did not comeRano, for whom I pined-Fie on cursed night, without my loveit passed, and left me woe-confined-To give me hell, he did not mindnow rests he in his dhat.-
19
Rano, I weep when I beholdthe empty places hereDust settled on beds and divansso drab looks all and cold;Unused by master pillows lie,and nought but dust they hold-Without you, trees and flowers fadeand never more unfold...Who would bear my freaks mainfoldbut my Mendharo dear?
20
Continuously I watch your way,mine eyes are at the door-May you come back to me Rano,I heaven do implore;You hold my life, else many moreof Rano's world contains.
21
I did not realize my sweet,the faults I did commit;They now recoil on me, and hitme justly in the face.
22
't was by your patience, I becamea human being dear-'t was through a whim of mine, my name,myself, you came to know.
23
If Mendharo to my own housewould come as guest, to stay with me-To flames I'd give self-consciousnessmy knowledge and my ancestry;Pride egoism I would throwInto the stove, most certainlyMy sacrifice for loved-one bethe home, parents, myself.
24
Who with a lion doth allyherself, must steady be-Affectionate and vigilantIn Rano's wake do lie-O Mumal, not like rain do pourOn all that you come by...When resurrection day is nighyou will of Rano think.
25
Go straight ahead, and look not backnor turn this side or that,Or else, a temple-turning smackunwar'ly you receive.
IV
26
A messenger! in haste he isBy he is sent;With promise: "one you love will reachLudhana for your bliss;The speedy camel will not missto enter Kak at Dawn."
27
A message great and new arrivedfrom Mendharo last night;We have received a gift divine,from Giver of all light-"Ask not for caste-all we inviteall are accepted here."
28
Where need I drive the camel? whenGlory all round is beaming?Kak in my being doth radiate,In me's Ludhano gleaming;Of Rano sweet my soul is dreamingthere is none else but 'He'.-
29
Where need one drive the camel? whengreat radiance reigns all round?In my being is Kak...in megardens and springs abound;There is no other voice or soundBut all is 'Mendharo'.

No comments:

Post a Comment