Shah Latif `s Poetry (Translated In Verse By: Elsa Kazi) Rippa-XXVI (Calamity)

1
O mother, sorrow's harrowinghas swamped my whole being-All honour to the sorrowingwho walk on uphill way.
2
My love took joy and health from me;sorrow my mate became;Mother, my fate destruction bethus parted from my love.
3
Sorrows have neither hands nor feet,yet wildly run through me-Within they travel in dense rowsnought can their rage defeat,Oh, who in loneliness completewould without loved-one live?
4
Dry ground gives rise to growth, in rain,the same with me it is...From separation growth of painand sorrow issue forth.
II
5
The mind awake doth never stay,although with scorn I keep it reined-With dust gets covered all the dayjust like a road-side tree.
6
When I lay waking on my bed,Loved-one's favours stirred memory;My pillow got all wet with tearshand too, on which did lie my headMemory kept on...with pain I said:"Sisters, my life is all in vain.-"
7
Mine eyes don't sleep, their drowsinessnow all but broken is;When fires dull, mem'ry's distressmakes flames shoot up again.
8
Rememb'ring your kindness, I live...favours endless I count,Numberless graces you did giveBeloved, to poor me!
9
For outside clouds I need not care,rain ever pours within;Beloved's clouds are everywhereon my horizons here.
10
Desiring to forget, I groan,and yet I can't forget-Longing hurts like a broken bonesharp and continuously.
III
11
Weep secretly, and not disclosethrough tears your wretched state;And all the sorrows bear, still thosearrive who pains remove.
12
O hide your love, as potters dothat cover up the kiln-Free fire cannot bake a pot,the potters' ways pursue;As potters do with kiln, so youmust ne'er uncover fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment