Shah Latif `s Poetry (Translated In Verse By: Elsa Kazi) Marui-XXVIII

Marui-XXVIII

1
When 'Be' was not yet said, nor wasthere flesh-bone scheme or plan;When Adam had not yet receivedhis form, was not yet man;Then my relationship began,my recognition too.
2
"Am I not thy Lord?" came a voice;a voice so sweet and clear;And I said: "yes" with all my heartwhen I this voice did hear;And with a bond I did adherethat moment to my love
3
Ere God created souls, by saying;"Be",-all one they were;Together were they-and beholdmy kinship started there-I still this recognition bearwith thee, Beloved mine.-
II
4
A prisoner I by destiny...or who would want, these forts"We nearer than thy life's vein are"to that home I will flee-When will I be from mansions freeand reach my Maru sweet?
5
I'll burn these houses...Mansions tallthat shorn of loved-ones are-"All things return to their origin"that's my longing's call;May I walk home, away from alland see my land 'malir'.
6
No news, no dream vouchsafed to meno messenger doth come;From 'there to here', there's no reply,no answer to my plea-Princes, I know not what must beaccounts you did render.
7
O God, do send the messengerwho will my message bear-I do belong to them, althoughto own me they don't care...I hold the pen within my hand,may some one paper spare;Tears check my writing, in despairO'er pen they fall and fall.
8
Scores of patches my bodice shows,my head with rags is decked-I to my people hoped to goand all robes did reject;My shawl from Dhat, may God protectits virtue to hide my shame.
9
In the condition that I came,could I return in same-What glory, like a seasonal rainwhat joy would I reclaim.
10
Amighty God, let it not bethat I in bondage dieEnchained my body night and day,doth weep in misery-O let me first my homeland seeand then my days let end.
11
O where is my distinction gone?my beauty and my grace?My homeland I can never seekin this condition base;If beauty granted be then faceI dare Beloved one.
12
Omar, my face so dirty is,my beauty now is done;And yet, I have to go where nonewithout beauty's received.
III
13
Fair Marui does not wash her hair,She does not smile or eat,On Omar's justice relies shewho robbed her freedom sweet;-"The havoc you have wrought, you'll meetat your arrival 'there'."
14
Fair Marui does not wash her hair,clotted it is, uglyThe nomad folks of desert landlive in her memory-"Omar, parted from them, unfreeI'll ne'er in forts reside."
15
Fair Marui does not wash her hair,for Malir longeth she...Only when prince doth set her freebalance restored will be...Whole desert will drink milk, for gleewhen 'trust' is safe returned.
16
There is no force to make them pine,-no taxes in their land,They gather lovely flowers redfor mangers of their kine-Malir with lustrous smiles doth shinethere priceless marus are.
17
Loved-one I never can forget;my mind with him is filled-Nothing you see is like Him, soto sight he does not yield;Because, loved-one His house has builtin negativity.-
18
Omar, for me your mansions granda double torture are;Here you torment me...there, so farloved-ones accuse me too.
19
To Maru needle joined my breath,a needle, oh so fine,My heart is there, my earthy fleshmust here to force resign;My breath is in the thatch divinemy body's to mansions bound.
20
The needle's Beauty, ne'er shall Icompare with kingliness;The needle covers naked onesbut not 'itself' doth dress;The twice-born only can possessknowledge of its loveliness.
IV
21
"Palatial doors and windows Iwill build for thee, Marui-But here now...lovely canopiesI shall raise over thee...Those who did ne'er enquiries makewhy so continouslyYou weep for them? something must bewrong with the desert-folk."
22
"How to forget him, whom my mem'ryholds for ever more?"Since: "am I not thy Lord?" was uttered,or e'en long before;Ere: Born He's not...gives birth to nonefrom the inane did soar.-Remem'ering Him-Marui so soremay die today or tomorrow.
23
Threads Maru round my wrists tied...goldfine gold they are for me;Omar, don't offer silks to rusticmaid, they leave me cold-Because much dearer I do holdmy worn ancestral shawl.
24
Were I to breathe my last, lookingto my home longingly-My body don't imprison herein bondage and unfree-A stranger from her love awaynot bury separately;The cool earth of the desert letthe dead one's cover be;When last breath comes, O carry meto Malir, I implore.
25
As oyester long for cloud, and craneslong for their native-hills.So deepest longing my heart strainstill nought of life remains.-How would I sit here, if not chainsheld me a prisoner?
26
The wounds that happy rustics lefttoday fester again-Sumro, sorrow dwells in meof every joy bereft;From Maru's separation, cleftis every bone of mine.
V
27
My girl-friends in reproachful mood,today sent word to me:"Silly one, you perhaps have eatenmuch of princely food,Abd friends, and your relations goodyou have frogotten all."
28
In corners of the fort, to quellher grief Marui doth mournRemembering Malir, she doth weep,makes others weep as well-O may the maid reach home and dwellamongst her Marus soon.
29
"Would that I never had been born,or died at birth"...she says;"O what a torture, shame and scornto Marus I became."
30
Destiny brought me here...resideI do unhappy here;My body's here-my heart is therewhere Maru doth abide;May God now turn this sorrow's tideand let me meet my love.-
31
The lightenings are now newly dressed,the season doth return;Mine eyes do not stop drizzling...forancestral land they yearn-I would not with such sadness burnif they would think of me.
32
If looking to my native landwith longing I expire;My body carry home, that Imay rest in desert-stand;My bones if Malir reach, at end,though dead, I'll live again.
VI
33
A messenger arrived'this dayauthentic news conveys;"Do not forget your distant loveand do not die", he says,You shall reach home; only few daysin this fort you may stay?
34
The one who from my homeland came,oh at his feet I fall-And to this traveller, my heartdid open, telling all-An instant more behind this wallto be, how I abhor.
35
"Don't cry, don't weep and fret;shed no tears of dismay;Whatever days appear,O let them pass away,-For after sorrow, joyO Marui, comes to stay-Desert maid know, your chainsby destiny's own swayAre moved, and now you maythrow them into the fire."
36
Omar, a traveller I did meettoday, with news for me.-And as he stood and message gave from the Beloved sweetI felt all sufferings did retreatand my chains all did fall.
37
My iron shackels all are gone.-Love's chains unyielding are.Unhappy days without Marusin mansions, life did mar...My countrymen, they are too farreproach them I cannot.-
38
Good were the days that I in painin tortuous prison passed;Storms roared above threateningly,my cries for help were vain;But lo: my love by prison chain,was chastened, purified.
39
The days I passed in deep depair,away from homeland mine,-My tribesmen will reproach me, ifmy face looks washed and fair-So to their thatches I'll repairto wash off mansion dirt!
40
"Don't weep, nor cry in agonybut when the world's asleep;At night raise both your little handsto God, and hopeful be-Where you wedded were, brave Marui'that homeland' thou shalt see,"

No comments:

Post a Comment