Shah Latif `s Poetry (Translated In Verse By: Elsa Kazi) Leela-XX

1
By jewels tempted, necklace brightyou craved,....so satam scores did cheat;You lost your spouse through his deceir-your era then of weo began.
2
The jewelis no jewel-nay,nor necklace worth to tempt your heart;Its origin is clay and bitsof glass it doth betray;Cursed trinket, in its fine arraymade many forme the loved-one part.-
3
Pendant of sorrow was, wath youa necklace though to be;Your lord decked your maid with gracewhich he forme you withdrew.May no dickord part lovers trueand union break in twain.-
4
By show she slipped....and by conceirshe fell, shattered was she;World came to her, called her a foolreproaches she did meet.They burnt her heart with scorn to death-her downfall was complete.-All her youth's blossoms, fragrant,sweetdried up with in her heart.
5
Exalted amongst friends; I wasthe wise one in the land;Something upset the balance-andnow I must hang my head.
6
I was in chanesar's domainfirst lady, and at social feastsFirst was I called, and always first,until my heart grew vain;He thrust me off..with shame and painnow lowest in the land I am.
7
With chanesar's affection let no waeton maiden play;No place for coquetry is this ilearnt to my regret-His disapproval doth begetsorrow for happy ones.
8
With zest, all lofry ones have decked,thier necks with diamonds fine;Hundred devices they employ before the loved-one to shine;But the beloved dose inclineto those who meekly walk.
9
Discard your former ways, be freefrom all you learnt before;Humility's scarf round your neckdo wear...with povertyDo link yourself, Leela, and seeHe'll never let you down.
10
Wise Leela, you have known so wellthe nature of your Lord...With diamonds round your neck, you thoughtto cast on him a spell.-In reading thoughts he does excelDiscerner He of hearts.
11
O God, let me not clever be,clever ones sorrows see-Loved-one all favours did to mewhen I was simpleton.
12
The meeting place of twon, Elitemy house was formerly-But when I diamonds touched, my spousedid loathe my very sight;All his affection vanished quiteand sorrow's reign commenced.-
13
The happiness that grows from mindself-centred, cursed it be;Unhappiness seek, which will findthe pricelesslove for thee!
14
Avoid to show off, argue notwith Chanesar.. beware-To you nor me beloneth Heand many more are there,Who once by Him much favoured wereand now weep at his door.-
15
Leela, if by beseeching HimHe won't forgive your fall-Keep on beseeching more all moreon his compassion call-Despair not, your pains he knows all-immense His mercy is.-
16
Despair not, rise and cleanse the house;prepare to sacrificeAncestors, 'Self' and all, there liesthe cleaning process true.-

No comments:

Post a Comment